NAMI Northern Virginia COVID-19 Resource Guide
We recognize the importance of continuing to provide support to our community during this troubling and uncertain time. While working on adjusting our programs to meet social-distancing standards, we gathered some resources to help keep you safe.
- NAMI Northern Virginia's Helpline: 571-458-7310 x 102 and email@example.com. Our Helpline Volunteers are currently working remotely and will be responding to voicemails and emails.
- NAMI Virginia Helpline: 804-285-8264 and firstname.lastname@example.org. Helpline Volunteers are currently working remotely and will only be responding to voicemails and emails.
- NAMI National Helpline: 800-950-NAMI (6264) and email@example.com. Helpline Volunteers are currently working remotely and will only be responding to voicemails and emails.
- National Suicide Lifeline: 800-273-TALK (8255) or text NAMI to 741-741. If you are in a crisis situation and need immediate help.
- Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990 or text TALKWITHUS to 66746. If you are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233. 24/7, confidential, and free.
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 800-656-HOPE (4673). 24/7 confidential, and free.
- Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860
- Mental Health America of Virginia: 1-866-400-MHAV (6428). If you need someone to talk to and you are not in a crisis situation. Check website for hours of availability.
- Hero: 844-833-HERO is for first-responders and their family or friends who need helpful resources and/or peer support services, on their own terms in a confidential, non-judgmental, comfortable environment. Monday - Sunday 8am - 12pm
- Recovery Program Solutions of Virginia: 703-817-6124. To help individuals cope with the additional stress of isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic. Monday - Thursday 4pm - 11pm
Virtual Support Groups
- NAMI Family Support Groups and NAMI Connection Support Groups at NAMI Northern Virginia are moving to the video-conferencing platform Zoom.
- Formed Families Forward's Stronger Together Support Groups are going virtual. There will be a support group for youth and young adults followed by a group for parents. Find scheduling and registration information here.
- Friends of Loudoun Mental Health will hold their suicide loss support group via conference call on April 5th. For more information or if you are struggling and need to talk to someone, you can call 703-443-1380. Contact Katrina Cole at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance will hold virtual support groups for individuals living with depression or bipolar disorder and for friends or family members. You can find their upcoming groups here.
- Recovery Program Solutions of Virginia holds a multitude of online support groups for different populations. You can find a list of their offerings here.
Virtual Mental Health Services
- Ark Behavioral health offers confidential substance abuse assessment and treatment placement and have developed their own COVID-19 Mental Health and Addiction Resources.
- A Place to Be will be utilizing social media platforms to offer music therapy, stress relief, and creativity sessions for anyone to join. They will also be providing virtual music therapy sessions and parent support sessions to current clients. Contact Rich@aplacetobeva.org for more information.
- Many counseling centers, therapists, and other services are going virtual. Check your regular mental health provider's websites or call to see if they have virtual options.
- Sunstone Counseling is switching to virtual sessions. They are accepting new clients virtually during this time. Find out more here.
- To help you find treatment services near you: https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/
- Find tips from NAMI on coping with Anxiety and Depression worsened by the coronavirus outbreak here.
- Find tips from SAMHSA on taking care of yourself during social distancing or quarantine here.
- Find tips from Mental Health First Aid on how to care for yourself while practicing physical distancing here.
- Guided Mindfulness Meditations: https://www.uclahealth.org/marc/mindful-meditations
- Find tips for young people dealing with the financial impact of COVID-19 here.